14.58 km (9.06 mi)
1,435 mm (4.708 ft)
to Landau an der Isar
The Aufhausen–Kröhstorf railway was a branch line in the province of Lower Bavaria in southern Germany. The entire course of this former railway ran on what is today the municipality of Markt Eichendorf.
1 Early history and construction
4 See also
7 External links
Early history and construction
Following the opening of the Landau–Arnstorf railway in 1903, Eichendorf, which was still without a railway connexion, pressed for the construction of a stub line to Plattling. This was turned down, however, by the Royal Bavarian State Railways on the grounds that it would be uneconomic. As a result, Eichendorf, then a market town of 1,300 inhabitants, endeavoured to have a railway line to Aufhausen. The Minister of Transport in Munich not only supported this application, but went further and pushed through an extension of this planned line to Kröhstorf, in order to open up most of the valley of the River Vils. Eichendorf was thus given an intermediate station on this route.
On 26 June 1908 the Lokalbahn law was passed which authorized the Aufhausen–Kröhstorf railway. With a cost estimate of only 820,600 goldmarks it was one of the cheapest Bavarian branch lines. Its route on the sand, gravel and clay soils along the Vils was straightforward enough and only near Dorto did it have to cross the Petzenbach stream on a 6 metre long bridge.
In spite of that the starting date for the construction of the line was delayed due to drawn-out negotiations over the purchase of land and it was not until 4 August 1913 that work began on the excavations. On 1 August 1914 activity came to a complete standstill due to mobilization for the First World War and only recommenced on 1 October 1914. Further delays to deliveries caused by the war meant that it was not until 9 November 1915 that the first train was able to work the line.
The railway was never profitable. Its junction at Aufhausen was unfortunate because it was so configured that it trains had to